LAW IN OHIO
|The Law Library Staff prepares "Research Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) for the convenience of our users to provide access to a variety of sources addressing particular points of law. These are general legal information sources, and are not to be construed as a substitute for personal legal advice from an attorney. Please seek legal counsel to help you determine the applicability of any of the information in these resources to your specific situation. The Law Library makes no recommendation as to whether you should purchase any services offered by the websites contained in this FAQ.
- Ohio Revised Code: Chapter 4121; Chapter 4123.
- Ohio Administrative Code: 4121; 4123; 4125.
- Bureau of Workers Compensation Digital Library: Old Ohio Specific Safety Requirements (Bulletins, Industrial Commission codes, and OAC 4123:1)
- Ohio Government Agencies
- Law Firm Websites with Workers' Compensation Information:
- Gruhin & Gruhin Attorneys: BWC claim deadlines chart; descriptions of the various types of compensation, for example temporary total disability, permanent partial disability, permanent total disability; discusses payments for medical bills and wage loss.
- Jaffy Law Firm: Has a Workers' compensation guide, recent Workers' compensation cases and more.
The Cleveland Law Library makes no recommendation as to whether you should hire these firms for legal representation.
- Other Websites:
- Books, Journals & Recent Articles:
- Fulton, Philip J., Ohio Workers’ Compensation Law (LexisNexis)
- Workers’ Compensation Journal of Ohio
- Avila, Janine T., The dual-capacity doctrine: one way to slay the workers’ compensation immunity dragon, 12 Ohio Trial 29 (Issue 2, 2002)
- Avila, Janine T., Kissing cousins: the relationship of the dual-capacity doctrine to workers’ compensation, 21 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 61 (Nov./Dec. 2006)
- Bartman, Douglas, Workplace violence: does it fit within the intentional tort exception to workers’ compensation exclusivity, 76 Clev. Bar J. 28 (Apr. 2005)
- Crosby, Elizabeth, The not-so-predictable costs of workers’ compensation, 77 Clev. Bar J. 32 (Nov. 2005)
- Elliott, Linda U., et al., Is retrospective rating returning to fashion?, 21 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 49 (Sept./Oct. 2006)
- Fabian, John Matthew & Antoinette F. Gideon, The law and psychology in workers’ compensation claims, 83 Law & Fact 22 (July 2007)
- Fulton, Philip J., Substantial aggravation: the more things change..., 17 Ohio Trial 7 (Spr. 2007)
- Goodman, Jonathan, Workers’ compensation and gradual onset injuries, 15 Ohio Trial 15 (Summer 2005)
- Gray, David E. “Proximate cause” in the workers’ compensation universe, 21 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 28 (May/June 2006)
- Harrelson, Laura G., Subrogation rights under Ohio workers' compensation law, 24 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 32 (Jul./Aug. 2009)
- Mackin, Kerry M., Employer's perspective: the substantial aggravation standard: an update, 25 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 21 (May/June 2010)
- Merlino, Michael R., Medicare’s role in workers’ compensation cases, 21 Ohio Lawyer 10 (May/June 2007)
- Roach, Megan K. & Joan M. Verchot, Employer’s perspective: the real workers’ compensation reform, 22 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 22 (July/Aug. 2007)
- Reid, Lisa, et al., Ward. v. Kroger Co.: defining the court’s 4123.512 jurisdiction, 77 Clev. Bar. J. 20 (Nov. 2005)
- Ross, William L. S., Injuries can send workers’ comp rates soaring: a different perspective, 22 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 13 (Mar./Apr. 2007)
- Starkoff, Jack R., The Coolidge conundrum: can an employee be terminated while on workers’ comp leave?, 78 Clev. Bar J. 14 (May 2007)
- Stewart, Laura M. & Joan M. Verchot, Faulty interpretation: The Ohio Supreme Court’s recent decision in Gross v. Industrial Commission raises questions about the no-fault system in Ohio workers’ compensation law, 22 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 5 (Jan./Feb. 2007)
- Termination for misconduct may terminate temporary total disability compensation, 1 Ohio Bus. L. J. 33 (Jan./Feb. 2007)
- Verchot, Joan M., Employer’s perspective: gross injustice? The Ohio Supreme Court “voluntarily abandons” its decision in Gross I–but does Gross II solve the problem or just create new ones?, 22 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 41 (Sept./Oct. 2007)
- Verchot, Joan M. & Laura M. Stewart, Industrial Commission raises questions about the no-fault system in Ohio workers’ compensation law, 22 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 5 (Jan./Feb. 2007)
- Volpini, Laura L., Do you know the consequences of terminating an employee on temporary total disability?, 1 Tort L. J. of Ohio 105 (Jan./Feb. 2007)
- Wilkinson, George B., Bureau finalizes 2009 rating changes, 24 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 9 (Mar./Apr. 2009)
- Wilkinson, George B., Current issues facing the BWC, 23 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 12 (Mar./Apr. 2008)
- Wilkinson, George B., Group rating-“Take Two,” 23 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 17 (May/June 2008)
- Wilkinson, George B., Ohio workers' compensation costs compare favorably to other states, 26 Workers’ Comp. J. of Ohio 1 (Jan./Feb. 2011)
1 West Lakeside Avenue, FL4 • Cleveland, Ohio 44113-1078 • Email: email@example.com • Phone: (216) 861-5070 • Fax: (216) 861-1606
May 21, 1999 -